>

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Crossing You In Style


While I choose slightly secluded spots for photographs I still run into the odd jogger or dog-walker or you know, regular walker--even on rainy days! As I was taking these pictures a cute, older couple walked by and said, "with that camera I guess you're not taking selfies!" To which I replied with a smile, "actually I am." I don't buy into selfie shame. Self portraits are nothing knew and taking pictures of yourself often doesn't mean you're full of yourself (and if you are full of self love, then good for you!). For a lot of people taking pictures on a regular basis is a quiet form of validation; it's made me more comfortable with my body and my style and looking back on pictures on days when I hated both and seeing in retrospect how they weren't terrible is a good reminder that a lot of things are just in my head. Aside from body positivity self portraiture is also a form of artistic practice; we use our bodies as stand-ins for models we can't afford or coerce into giving up their time while we practice a chosen medium. My photography has gotten so much better through the years and I wouldn't have nearly as much practice if I had waited for friends to have free time to pose for me!

Outfit details:
Modcloth umbrella (old, similar)
UO shoes (old)

14 comments:

vdretro said...

Love your blog ! Such cute outfit!

maryclarkk said...

Beautiful pictures and outfit, as always, but especially love the message. You don't see that perspective too often, and I quite agree with it. Thank you!

Claire Petersen said...

Thanks for sharing your opinion on 'selfie shame'. I have taken countless selfies over the years, sometimes for creative photography projects and other times it's simply for instagram, and I don't regret it!

As for your outfit - I love it, especially the green coat.

Deer Romande said...

In love with the shoes!!!

Helen Veyna said...

I totally agree with you, Rebecca! There is no shame in taking selfies. I am so impressed by your photography, and the fact that you're able to take your own pictures.

I am so in love with this outfit! That coat has such a nice cut, and the color looks lovely on you.

-Helen Grace

www.sweethelengrace.com

Primrose Bigwood said...

Love the shoes, beautiful girl! x

Primrosepondering.blogspot.com

Ruby Sterland said...

Love, love love your coat! The setting is so lovely too.

www.totalmodisch.blogspot.co.uk

Brittany PC said...

I love your coat. That is just too darn cute.

Rachel Sullivan said...

These are all my favorite items of yours in one pretty outfit!
And obviously YA down with selfie hate!!

Rachel

mutianugrabita said...

cool coats! and adorable umbrella :)()

Georgiana said...

Beautiful photos. Your outfit goes really well with the background, it is very nice. I also like the mood in the photos, looks like you enjoyed yourself although it was a rainy day.

Sally | Queenie and the Dew blog said...

Green is definitely your colour lady. Lovely :) x

Little Miss Katy said...

Your pics are gorgeous! I've just bought a tripod and am looking forward to learning how to take good outfit pics all by myself :) like you say, if I had to wait for friends to pose or take my pics, I'd never get any done! xx

Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle & Fashion

Ashley said...

"For a lot of people taking pictures on a regular basis is a quiet form of validation; it's made me more comfortable with my body and my style and looking back on pictures on days when I hated both and seeing in retrospect how they weren't terrible is a good reminder that a lot of things are just in my head. Aside from body positivity self portraiture is also a form of artistic practice; we use our bodies as stand-ins for models we can't afford or coerce into giving up their time while we practice a chosen medium."

Yes, yes, yes - to all of this! Oddly, when I was in college (early 2000s), I did a lot of "selfies" for photography class, for the same reasons you listed above. It was easier than finding a model. It helped me explore by changing body and face, and often helped me capture an image the way "I wanted it" because I wasn't depending on anyone else. There were "selfies," but the idea was so far from where it is now!

I love to look back on wonderful photographers and women like Cindy Sherman to validate the process, at least for myself...

Web Statistics